Friday, March 29, 2019

Spring Snow

Well, I can see Western States 100 on the horizon outskirts. Right now it's a couple days before April, and it snowed a few inches in the valley last night. (Insert -_- emoji). After running only the few snow-accessible trails since seemingly early November, I'm ready for things to dry out. I'd be lying if I didn't say I look at the front range driving home every day saying aloud, "melt, snow, melt!"

I'm motivated to start upping the miles. There are challenges like always: work travel, terrible conditions of trails, all the high country still covered in literal yards of snow, the fact that miles take time, etc etc. But the overall sentiment is that things are on the right track. I've been doing one workout a week since January, for the most part (thanks Maddie). I'm feeling fit, but not particularly fast or mega endurance. I do feel a little behind in terms of general timing. The classic Western States build is a 50k in March, a 50 miler in April or early May, then crush training until the last Saturday in June. By contrast I have a whopping four "long" runs under my belt since Jan 1 -- 22, 18, 19, and 24 milers -- that's the obvious improvement I need to start making.

A small yet ferocious squad of ultrarunning misfits is slowly taking shape in SLC, which gets me amped. We'll grow and have some adventures this summer, I'm feeling it. Before States, it's a local road half, Zion Traverse (stoked), more work travel, and hopefully some killer runs on dirt. For now, I'm not overtrained, I promise that. After States, it's pacing, exploring, and dare I say giving the WURL or Milwood 100 a go? Those would be rad.

For now it's putting my head down, staying durable, upping the miles, and focusing in having an enjoyable day at States all the way around.

On a side note, I do feel compelled to note that I've been ~90% off Instagram since December of last year, and my life feels a little better. I'm in my own bubble, but I like it. Cheers.
Best ski day of the year with a lovely lady  
Still liking Petzl 


Post work hike

Misfits minus Dmitri and Maddie 

No comments:

Post a Comment